This book looks at problems that have arisen with modernization and development in Africa and seeks an explanation for persistent increases in inequality, even in the context of improved technologies and institutions that were intended to better meet human needs for safety, nurture, belonging, and creative fulfillment. The author coins the term “deformed modernization” to describe this state of affairs. The work draws on the post-liberation experiences of five countries in Southern Africa—Angola, Botswana, Malawi, Zimbabwe, and South Africa.
A Manifold project is born!
- container titleIAD Occasional Paper Series
- isbn978-0-9802223-7-1; 0-9802223-7-0
- publisherCornell Institute for African Development
- publisher placeIthaca, NY
- rights holderInstitute for African Development
- series number17
- series titleIAD Occasional Paper Series